Cat & Dog Teeth Cleaning in Duluth
Did you know pets need routine oral maintenance the same as we do? By maintaining at-home oral care and bringing your pet in for annual cat or dog teeth cleaning you easily prevent one of their most common medical conditions – dental and gum disease. When plaque builds up your pet’s teeth it turns into hard tartar. This tartar carries bacteria and if given the chance, will invade your pet’s gum line, cause tooth decay, bone loss, and in its most severe form organ disease. At Tiger Tails Animal Hospital, we go to great lengths to ensure our patients’ oral health. Using state-of-the-art equipment, and education on at-home care, we provide exceptional dental services to Duluth and surrounding areas.
How We Care for Your Pet’s Teeth and Gums
When you schedule your pet’s dental cleaning with us, we always keep their safety in mind while we carefully assess their oral health. To thoroughly clean and diagnose any oral concerns, we place your pet under general anesthesia. As an accredited member of the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), we adhere to strict safety guidelines. While sedated, your pet’s vital signs are constantly monitored. Furthermore, one of our caring, compassionate technicians will be with your pet from through every step of any dental procedure. A little bit more about dental cleanings:
- We thoroughly scale pet’s teeth to remove stubborn tartar, including below the gum line.
- We polish pets’ teeth to a smooth, shiny surface to help inhibit bacterial growth in the future.
- We apply a fluoride treatment to help discourage future plaque formation.
- Digital x-rays can help us quickly diagnose tooth decay or necessary extractions.
Taking Care of Your Pet’s Teeth at Home
Pets can be anything but cooperative when it comes to brushing their teeth. Still, the benefits of regular brushing far outweigh the inconvenience. If you manage to brush your pet’s teeth just a few times per week, you help decrease their chances of developing gum disease. Even better for them still is brushing their teeth daily. Some things to note about at-home oral care:
- The routine of daily brushing gives them more of a chance to get used it.
- Start by attempting to do only small amounts of brushing at a time and reward them generously with a treat.
- Reward them with a treat endorsed by the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC) afterward and praise them generously.
- Oravet chews are one of our favorite oral care products. Come in to pick up a box today!
For any more information about pet dental care, please call or email us with your questions. We’re here to keep pets happy and healthy.